Today, our Apple Valley vets review the signs and symptoms of poisoning in dogs, and what you should do if you believe your dog has been poisoned.
What should I do if my dog has been poisoned?
Stay calm and make sure the source of the poison is out of your dog’s reach. Then get your dog to the vet as soon as possible.
The following symptoms may indicate that your dog has been poisoned:
- Nausea and/or vomiting
- Heart problems
- Kidney failure
- Excessive bruising or bleeding
- Unsteady on feet
- Abnormal heart beat
- Oral irritation
- Pale gums
- Inability to urinate
What substances are poisonous to dogs?
Most of the poisoning cases our Apple Valley vets see are the result of dogs getting into substances around the house that are not good for them. Certain foods, medications or household substances that are safe for humans can be dangerous if ingested by a dog.
The following substances are the most common dog poisons we see at Apple Valley Animal Hospital.
Over-the-counter medications like Tylenol, ibuprofen, Advil and Aleve, as well as herbal and nutraceutical products, can be poisonous to dogs. Prescription medications that are beneficial to humans can also be highly poisonous when ingested by dogs.
Animals have different metabolisms than people. Some foods, such as chocolate, onions and garlic, are perfectly safe for people but dangerous, and sometimes fatal, for dogs.
Medications like painkillers, de-wormers, and flea/tick treatments can be poisonous to dogs if consumed or used incorrectly.
Household cleaning products are a leading cause of pet poisoning, resulting in stomach and respiratory tract problems. Chemicals in antifreeze, paint thinner, and chemicals for pools also can act as dog poison.
Rodenticides & Insecticides
Rat poison and insecticides can be as dangerous for your dog as the creatures they are intended for.
Some of the more toxic plants to dogs include azaleas, rhododendrons, tulips, daffodils, and sago palms.
Lawn & Garden Products
Products for your lawn and garden may be poisonous to pets that ingest them.
Note: The advice provided in this post is intended for informational purposes and does not constitute medical advice regarding pets. For an accurate diagnosis of your pet's condition, please make an appointment with your vet.